Hello, I’m Emily and welcome to my little corner of the internet, where I share my passion for demystifying the art of pattern making. I will guide you through easy-to-follow tutorials and projects, to show you that getting a great design and fit, is not only for the experts.
My love for sewing began when I was about 9 years old, when my mum shipped me off to a school holiday sewing camp. I was the youngest by a long shot (and my lovely teacher had to sneakily stitch a few seams for me overnight, so that I could keep up with the class) but I instantly fell in love. I was soon teaching all my friends how to make scrunchies (yes, it was the late 90s and scrunchies were the in-thing) and getting everyone I knew to enrol in sewing classes too.
Within a few years I had realised that this was going to be a long term love affair, so I made a bargain with Mum. She would hand over the rights to her Janome (the machine that I still use to this day) as long as I took care of the family mending.
I went on to study fashion and textiles at Sydney’s UTS, where I honed my skills in pattern making and construction, and after four challenging, but very rewarding years, graduated with an honours degree.
After university I craved a change, so I decided to move to London to see what skills, both personal and professional, I could gain. I did a number of internships in London, but the most notable learning curve for me was discovering the online sewing community. The sheer number of people sewing, and the community surrounding it, blew my mind. I decided to get involved, by starting my own blog, Em Makes Patterns, which planted the seed of hope in my head, that maybe one day I could do it full-time.
I moved back to Sydney in 2015 and decided it was now or never ... and that is how In the Folds was born.
In the Folds patterns are designed for home sewers who are looking for a project that is a little out of the ordinary.
What can you expect from an In the Folds pattern?
- A pattern that is beautifully drafted and available in a broad range of sizes
- Thoughtful design and unexpected detailing
- A versatile pattern with room for you to make your own
- A project that can be as simple or as challenging as you would like to make it
- A pattern that will teach you a new technique (or hopefully two)
- Instructions that will help you get a beautiful store-bought finish and encourage you to push yourself into unknown territory
- Step-by-step tutorials and sew-alongs that will give you helpful hints and tips that will help you in future projects
- And loads of pattern hacking inspiration, so that you can transform a single pattern into as many garments as your imagination will allow
When I am not madly sewing or working on a pattern, you are likely to find me sipping on a cup of tea, trying to remember how to conjugate verbs correctly in Spanish or frolicking down the beach.